Oral history interview with Thomas C. Hart [electronic resource], 1962
|Creator: ||Hart, Thomas C. 1877-1971||Project: ||Naval history project. |
(see all project interviews)
|Phys. Desc. :||Transcript: 284 pages Miscellaneous papers relating to oral history.|
|Location: ||Columbia Center for Oral History|
|Full CLIO record >>|
Naval officer, senator.
Scope and Contents
Childhood and education; Spanish-American War; ordnance, teaching, submarines; Army War College; command of MISSISSIPPI; submarine command; Superintendent, Naval Academy, 1931-34; heavy cruisers, 1934-36; General Board, 1936-39 and 1942-45; Asiatic Fleet, 1939-41; Hart Investigation of Pearl Harbor; Senator from Connecticut, 1945-47. Impressions of many political and military figures, including Theodore Roosevelt, Franklin Roosevelt, Frank Knox, James Forrestal, General Douglas MacArthur and Admirals William Leahy, Harry Ervin Yarnell, Ernest King, Arthur Hepburn, Chester Nimitz, and Harold Stark.
- Hart, Thomas C. (Thomas Charles), 1877-1971--Interviews.
- Legislators--United States--Interviews.
- Mason, John T., 1909-1998, interviewer.
- Oral histories.
- Pearl Harbor (Hawaii), Attack on, 1941.
- Spanish-American War, 1898.
- United States--Politics and government--1945-1953.
- United States. Congress. Senate.
- United States. Navy.
- United States Naval Academy.
- World War, 1939-1945--Naval operations, American.
Copyright by The Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York, 1971.