Reminiscences of Cyrus Stuart Ching, 1967
Industrial relations expert
Scope and Contents
Labor relations in United States, 1914-1965; supervisor of industrial relations, US Rubber Co., 1919-1947: centralizing personnel policies, factory councils, arbitration, industrial and craft unions; boyhood and education, Prince Edward Island; career with Boston Elevated Railway, 1901-1919: air brakes, rapid transit unions, Storrow arbitration board, state receivership; a mediator's qualifications; American Management Association; National Association of Manufacturers; US Chamber of Commerce; National Labor Relations Board; National Industrial Recovery Act industrial codes; organization of rubber industry by International Rubber Workers; Bethlehem Steel strike, 1939; 1941 National Defense Mediation Board cases: Allis-Chalmers, North American Aviation, Federal Shipbuilding, Air Associates, mineworkers; closed shop; War Labor Board, 1942-1943: Little Steel formula, auto industry; Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service, 1947-1952: steel and auto industries, longshoremen, Taft-Hartley Act, General Electric; Atomic Energy Commission Labor Relations Panel, 1953-1967; Commerce Department Business Advisory Council; 1966 elections; AFL-CIO merger; Wage Stabilization Board, 1950, United Mine Workers; effectiveness of wage-price controls. Anecdotes of leaders in industry, labor, and government. Memoir includes a joint interview with Ralph T. Seward, executive secretary of National Defense Mediation Board
- Ching, Cyrus S. (Cyrus Stuart), 1876-1967--Interviews.
- Factory management.
- Government executives--United States--Interviews.
- Labor unions.
- Mediation and conciliation, Industrial.
- New Deal, 1933-1939.
- Oral histories (literary works)
- Seward, Ralph T.
- Seward, Ralph T., 1907-1994.
- Strikes and lockouts.
- Trade associations.
- Trusdale, John, interviewer.
- U.S. Atomic Energy Commission.
- United Mine Workers of America.
- United States--Economic policy--1933-1945.
- United States--Politics and government--1901-1953.
- United States--Politics and government--1953-1961.
- United States. National War Labor Board (1942-1945)
- United States Rubber Company.
- World War, 1939-1945--Equipment and supplies.
Copyright by The Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York, 1975