Oral history interview with Joseph J. Clark, 1962
Scope and Contents
Early life in Indian Territory; Oklahoma A & M; Naval Academy; World War I convoys and patrols; Turkey; destroyer duty; teaching at Naval Academy; naval aviation; Admiral William Moffett and General William Mitchell; Naval Air Stations; stunt and test flying; relationships with members of Congress; Inspector of Naval Aircraft; early Pacific operations; North African landings; "Fighting Lady," 1943; detailed descriptions of Pacific operations; Task Group Commander, Assistant Chief of Naval Operations for Air; the "Revolt of the Admirals," Korea; Command of 7th Fleet, 1952. Impressions of many military, naval, and political figures, especially Admirals John H. Towers, Ernest King, Chester Nimitz, Arthur Radford, Marc Mitscher, and Raymond Spruance, and Secretaries of the Navy John L. Sullivan and James V. Forrestal.
- Aeronautics, Military.
- Clark, J. J. (Joseph James), 1893-1971--Interviews.
- Korean War, 1950-1953.
- Mason, John T., 1909-1998, interviewer.
- Mitchell, William, 1879-1936.
- Moffett, William.
- Oral histories.
- United States--Armed Forces.
- United States--Politics and government--1933-1945.
- United States. Navy.
- United States Naval Academy.
- World War, 1914-1918--Naval operations, American.
- World War, 1939-1945--Naval operations, American.