Oral history interview with Robert B. Carney, 1964
Scope and Contents
Family background, Naval Academy, 1916; first cruises, assignments; World War I convoying; navigation instructor, Naval Academy, 1923-24; Interior Control Board manual, 1928; Orange Plan and naval preparedness, 1940; Admiral Arthur Bristol, organization of Support Force Operation; North Atlantic convoy duty; Chief of Staff, Admiral William Halsey, South Pacific theater: strategy, operations, logistics, personalities, problems; theater of war approach, Admiral Chester Nimitz, General Douglas MacArthur; 3d Fleet operations, Central Pacific; Leyte Gulf and China Sea, 1945; British participation; Japan's defeat and surrender; Deputy Chief of Naval Operations for Logistics, 1946-50; computers; War College, problems of command and staff training, postwar Navy; unification of services, 1947; impressions of many military figures.
- Carney, Robert Bostwick, 1895-1990--Interviews.
- Halsey, William F. (William Frederick), 1882-1959.
- MacArthur, Douglas, 1880-1964.
- Mason, John T., 1909-1998, interviewer.
- Nimitz, Chester W. (Chester William), 1885-1966.
- Oral history.
- United States. Department of Defense.
- United States. Navy.
- United States Naval Academy.
- World War, 1939-1945--Naval operations, American.