Reminiscences of Joseph Laitin : oral history, 1982.
Scope and Contents
Childhood in Brooklyn: family, high school; introduction to journalism, 1935; Reuters war correspondent; experiences in Japan during occupation; coverage of Bikini Island atomic testing, Nuremberg Trials; Averell Harriman Democratic presidential nomination bid, 1952; public relations for Henry F. Schricker United States Senate campaign, Indiana, 1952; experiences as a freelance writer in Hollywood, 1953-1963; impressions of Lyndon B. Johnson; work in government during Johnson administration: Bureau of the Budget, assistant to press secretaries George Reedy and Bill Moyers; work as "advance man" preparing for president Johnson's diplomatic missions--Samoa, Vietnam, Italy; government information leaks to the press; impressions of James R. Schlesinger and public relations advice aiding his political development; Assistant Secretary for Public Relations, Defense Dept., 1975; Assistant Secretary for Public Affairs, Treasury Dept., Carter Administration; ethics, pragmatism, and the qualities of a good public relations person.
- Japan--History--Allied occupation, 1945-1952.
- Jessup, Frederick Peterson, 1920-2005, interviewer.
- Laitin, Joseph, 1915-
- Nuclear explosions.
- Nuremberg War Crime Trials, Nuremberg, Germany, 1946-1949.
- Oral histories.
- Politics, Practical.
- Presidents--United States--Press conferences.
- Press and politics.
- Public relations consultants--Interviews.
- United States--Politics and government--1963-1969.
- United States--Politics and government--1977-1981.
- United States. Department of Defense.
- United States. Department of the Treasury.
Copyright by The Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York, 1989. Permission required to cite, quote, and reproduce. Contact repository for information.